Sony released the Sony STR-DN1080 7.2-Channel AV Receiver on March 23, 2015 at a retail price of $599. In this review we’ll cover some basics, specifications, and what consumers can expect from the receiver.
Sony is a company that’s been making quality audio products since the 1920s with a legacy that extends all the way into modern electronics and entertainment systems. From their beginnings as a musical instrument manufacturer.
The brand has produced incredible audio and video components such as the original Betamax, CD players, and home theater components. Sony is also noted for producing some of the most popular electronics such as walkman’s, VCR’s and DVD players.
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite TV shows & movies, stream your favorite music and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your...
- PHANTOM SURROUND SETTING: Experience 7 channel surround sound with only a 5 channel speaker setup. Chrome cast built in is present
- ADVANCED AUDIO: DTS: X object based surrounds sound adapts to your speaker configuration in real time
- 4K PASS THROUGH: 4K HDR compatible with HDCP 2.2 support for sharper source to screen image quality
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL SYSTEM: Enjoy a multi channel stereo setup and preset channel FM / AM radio tuner
Last update on 2022-05-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Design and Structure:
The Sony STR-DN1080 7.2-Channel AV Receiver is a solid, well built receiver that’s loaded with technology, but not too bulky. It’s about the size of a large VHS tape and weighs roughly around 20 pounds.
All of Sony’s products are designed to be heavy, solid electronics with clean lines and sturdy construction. The STR-DN1080 is no different; it weighs in at 30 pounds (10.4 kg) and has a sturdy, all metal front panel.
It is stereo rack mount capable with dimensions of 18″ x 17″ x 4.4″. Because of this, it will fit okay in most entertainment cabinets or racks, but make sure you stick with the rack recommendations.
The receiver itself has an overall depth of 4.4″ , so anything thicker than that may prevent the unit from fitting behind the rack doors. Besides it’s great looks, functionality is one of Sony’s strong points.
This is seen in their up to date user interface with a virtual keyboard and plenty of convenience keys for quick access to various features.
The unit is designed to be 7.2-channels of AV power with two HDMI inputs and one output, digital optical 5.
STR-DN1080 is a 7.2 channel AV Receiver which means it has a 7.2 channel amplifier that can be used for stereo or surround sound. It also features 3D Pass Through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), and wireless connectivity (AV Link).
The receiver is equipped with 1080p upscaling and conversion technology to maximize the quality of high definition media content such as Blu-Ray Disc or DVD video, and HDMI input/outputs. There are also USB and Bluetooth enabled ports for wireless connectivity.
It supports 4K pass-through via HDMI, which means that it will support 4K content from devices connected to it’s HDMI input/outputs, but the unit itself will not process the content for display on a compatible television or projector.
The Sony STR-DN1080 7.2-Channel AV Receiver is loaded with some great features and technology. One of the unit’s more noteworthy qualities is it’s 1080p upscaling and conversion technology built in to the amplifier.
Stream all your favorite movies and TV shows in the best picture and sound quality ever! This receiver can upscale any video signal to near 4K resolution. Upconvert lowers the resolution of standard definition content, but still delivers good quality. It also introduces a new color space to improve color fidelity.
This receiver also features Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS Neo 2:6 & DTS 96/24 audio decoding and more than 5 built-in sound fields available to simulate the experience of a movie theater or concert hall.
Allows you to enjoy premium sound with wireless audio streaming via Bluetooth. Simply pair the receiver with your smartphone or tablet and play your music wirelessly. No need to fuss with cables or wires.
- You can enjoy HD audio with 7.2 channel surround sound.
- There are plenty of options to play music via Bluetooth or streaming through your network.
- The receiver has HDMI inputs for HD video and all of its other features .
- You can watch movies in stunning high definition with the upscaling technology on this receiver.
- The STR has a good range of features and will satisfy the needs of most consumers. It support the latest 4K video standards and allows for 3D content to be viewed on compatible televisions.
- If you’re looking for a receiver that has upscaling tools that enhance standard definition content into high definition quality then you’ll want to look at receivers that go into the $300-400.
- Not all that powerful when it comes to amplification, but at this price point it’s reasonable.
The Sony STR-DN1080 7.2 Channel AV Receiver is a solid, well-built receiver that is designed to deliver quality sound and video. For the price, consumers get a good deal of features that allows you to stream music wirelessly from your mobile device or enjoy music in surround sound from a variety of sources.
The 7.2 channels provides plenty of power for most home theater setups and consumers can use it with a wide range of electronics in their setup.
The Sony STR-DN1080 receiver delivers excellent quality sound in any home theater environment, but at a very reasonable price. The simplicity of the interface makes it easy to use and navigate features.