The KEF R550 is a speaker that has an interesting design. It has a distinct shape, with the black box-like object on top of the speaker. They are powered by three separate 4-ohm channels which make for an interesting sound. Each channel takes in 15 watts of power and can be vertically arranged depending on one’s preference. The design gives off some type of futuristic vibe, but it really depends on what one likes.
If you’re in the market for high-quality yet affordable speakers, the KEF Q550s are among the best. These versatile speakers provide listeners with an immersive soundstage while retaining great clarity at any volume level. They feature a 5″ Kevlar woofer and a 1″ aluminum dome tweeter, both of which allow for extended frequency response to produce deep bass and crystal-clear treble, respectively.
Kef Q550 is a sound-quality speaker from KEF Audio. It offers excellent sound even at higher volumes, thanks to the twin flared aluminum cone tweeters and horn-loaded mid-woofer. The bass unit features large air chambers that produce deeper, room-filling lows which are not lost in the mix. It boasts built-in amplification so it can be used wirelessly with any compatible Bluetooth device, plus it has an integrated microphone for use with your phone or tablet.
The KEF Q550 is an active, sealed loudspeaker that offers a wide frequency response and low distortion. This makes it perfect for music applications where you want to avoid unwanted proximity effects. This speaker has been designed with the modern customer in mind; its rectangular shape ensures it can fit into any room decor while its attractive design will ensure many people don’t even notice it’s there.
- The KEF Q550 Floorstanding speaker is the newest iteration of KEF award-winning Q Series. The Q550 features a redesigned cabinet, sleek new finishes,...
- The Q550 contains an enhanced Uni-Q Driver Array designed to smooth out treble frequencies, and reimagined crossovers to provide cleaner and more...
- The Q550 features New internal upgrades for its low-frequency drivers, including New Surrounds and rear Suspension, for immaculate bass no matter the...
- The Q550 features a 5.25” Uni-Q Driver Array, one 5.25” bass driver, and two 5.25” auxiliary bass radiators.
- Q550 Magnetic cloth grilles sold separatley
Last update on 2023-12-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents
Design & Structure
The KEF Q550 is a speaker that has been praised for its excellent design and sound quality. Made to be compact, the speakers are low profile and aesthetically pleasing. They have a solid aluminum frame with an angled tweeter for perfect stereo reproduction. The controls on the back of the speaker allow you to switch between different input sources and adjust volume and tone. It also has a USB port allowing you to charge your phone or device as well as play music from your computer via Bluetooth.
The KEF Q550 is a pair of “ultra-compact” speakers that are ideal for small stereo systems. The speaker is 5x5x7 inches, weighs 11 lbs, and uses the active bass radiator technology to provide an immersive musical experience. There’s also a matching subwoofer with low-frequency drivers.
The Q550 is part of the current generation of consumer loudspeaker designs that are designed for ease of integration into today’s fixed installation environments. It includes a sophisticated, enclosed, acoustically dampened cabinet with built-in amplifiers. This speaker can be easily integrated into an adaptive or conventional surround sound system due to its diverse connectivity options. The Q550 has dimensions of 1025 x 796 x 480 mm (42 L) and weighs approximately 114 kg (251 lbs).
The KEF Q550 is the perfect speaker for those who want quality sound without having to sacrifice much space or money.
- Frequency response: 45Hz-20kHz
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
- Input sensitivity: 2mV/47kohms
- Output impedance: 8 ohms
- The Kef Q550 is a budget and popular choice among buyers of home speakers and hi-fi speakers. It features a soft dome tweeter and a 5” woofer. 130 watts maximum power, 4.6-inch coaxial low-frequency dome tweeter, 3.2-inch dual Cone bass/midrange driver, Aluminum subwoofer chassis
The KEF Q550 is a set of bookshelf speakers that are small enough to fit on your desk or be tucked away in the corner of your room. The Q550s are quite powerful for their size but also maintain a balanced sound overall with clear mids and highs and deep lows.
The KEF Q550 is a two-way floor-standing speaker with six drive units per side. The combined bass unit is a 5.25 -inch woofer and one-inch tweeter adjoin to create an asymmetrical mid/bass driver system, which includes the brand’s Radial2™ cone design and die-cast chassis with copper shorting rings. This combination produces powerful and precise deep bass and detailed high frequencies, delivering an expansive soundstage with true accuracy and dynamics.
Headphone jack, Bluetooth 2.1 with AAC/aptX, 3.5mm stereo in-line remote control with track and volume controls.
Audio output: 20W per channel (40W max) | Impedance: 16Ω | Frequency response (+/-3dB): 63 Hz – 20kHz | THD+N at 1kHz: 0.
Two front-firing bass reflex ports.
4.5″ woofer and 1″ tweeter with a DSP based on KEF’s award-winning Uni-Q design.
Magnetic shielding wire with gold plated connectors for full connectivity with any device
A built-in DAC that delivers 24 bit/192 kHz of hi-res digital audio, including 192 kHz / 24-bit file compatibility
Built-in DEQX digital music decoder with Qobuz’s acclaimed 32-bit/384kHz High-Resolution Audio sound quality
- Adjustable room size -Actual speed is variable from 1.0V to 20.0V, not just a number -Very affordable for a hi-fi speaker.
- The KEF Q550 is a high-quality speaker that promises to make you love your music.
- The KEF Q550 has a lot going for it, and these pros will help you decide if this speaker is right for you.
- The sound quality is fantastic; the speakers produce crisp and clear mids as well as detailed highs (but without too much harshness).
- The bass response is punchy and controlled with good extension.
- Listening fatigue was not an issue over longer periods of time, thanks to the high-quality leather coverings on the ear cups that reduce ambient sounds and can be removed or changed to suit your skin type.
- Poor build quality: The ear cups and headband feel cheap and the headphones creak when handled.
- No noise cancellation: Outside sound easily seeps in, which is a problem for commuters or people in noisy offices.
- Uncomfortable fit: The pads feel too thin and don’t provide much isolation from outside noise. The headband can also press down on your ears if you wear them for too long.
- The sound is not incredibly punchy or powerfully moving, but instead can seem thin at times.
- The design of the speaker lacks some finesse with an appearance that is more industrial than high-end.
Sony speakers are consistently respected for their high-quality sound reproduction and sleek design. KEF Q550 is no different in terms of sound quality, but with its colorful design and elegant shape, they are definitely unique.
For an even more valuable feature, these speakers can simultaneously connect with up to four devices via Bluetooth. This means that there is no need to use the AUX input, so listeners can stream songs from their phone or laptop while the accompanying speaker keeps playing on its own.
In an effort to achieve a loudspeaker that is forgiving of imperfections in the sound system, KEF introduces the Q550 speaker. This semi-high-end series balances clarity with ultimate versatility and represents a new way forward for high fidelity.
KEF, a British company established in 1973 with a commitment to “Acoustic & Engineering Excellence,” has been dominating the loudspeaker market for years.
Q: What are the drivers on the Kef q550?
A: As on most of KEF’s speakers you will find their renowned Uni-Q driver handling the highs and mids of the Q550 – in this case a 5.25 inch coaxial midrange/tweeter.
Q: Is the q550 a good floorstanding speaker?
A: Great mid-range, dynamic highs and tight lows make the Q550 a great overall floorstanding speaker that will offer you countless hours of acoustic pleasure. Highly recommended. For more floorstanding speaker reviews you can check our dedicated section HERE.
Q: What speakers are included in the Kef Q series?
A: KEF has included 2 bookshelfs, the Q150 and Q350, 3 floorstanders, the Q550, Q750 and Q950, a center speaker, the Q650c and a Dolby Atmos module, the Q50a and thus filling the series with all the necessary type of speakers in order to support any kind of home theater setup.
Q: What is the frequency response of the q550 driver array?
A: The Q550 driver array has a frequency response of 58Hz – 28kHz, a maximum output of 110dB with 87dB sensitivity and 8 Ohms impedance. Design-wise KEF has been through a lot of effort in order to try and improve upon an already magnificent design.